Sunday, June 22, 2008

There is something wrong with me.....

I have an exam at 9am tomorrow - Acute Care Adult. This is the subject that I have been most concerned about all semester and that I have clearly struggled with. Leading up to the exam I am sitting on 38%. So I need 12% (24 marks) off this exam paper which I am stressed about. I'm hoping I'm not going to fail, I've never failed ANYTHING before. But neither have a received a pass as a mark - I know it sounds snobby but I've been aiming high. Until now.

The exam is in approximately 12 hours, I am hopelessly unprepared and I'm sitting here blogging, reading, browsing, watching telly and cleaning the house. Why? I have completed my mental health unit and so I'm pretty sure it's called 'avoidance' but I just can't seem to make myself get into it. Tomorrow is multiple choice and case studies but it's a HUGE subject. In 12 weeks we have covered - aetiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology and nursing interventions for...
Respiratory - asthma, chronic bronchitis, COPD, emphysema
Cardiovascular - angina, athlerosclerosis (I still can't spell/say it!), infarct,
Oncology, Haematology and Immunology - cancer, haemophilia, anaemia
Endocrine - diabetes, thyroid disorders
Gastrointestinal - small bowel obstruction, large bowel obstruction
Nervous - MS
Operative care - analgesia, anasthetic

I can see now why I just feel like it's too big a mountain to climb. I figure that what I know now is what I now and I'm just going to hope and pray that it's enough to get me through this exam, this subject, this semester. It's also more important because this is the subject that is linked to my practical placement so if I fail this subject I will have to repeat it and that will put me back a whole year in my degree progession which I'm really hoping is not going to happen. Cross your fingers, toes, eyes - all bodily parts for me please.

A friend said to me the other day "P's get degrees" - I'm hoping that will be the case for me!

2 comments:

Caffeine Faerie said...

There's nothing wrong with you. It's called brain burnout. And you will be fine. I'll be crossing all my fingers and toes for you. I'm sure you would have paid attention in the course, and other things will be logical.

Sending you studious thoughts, so that I can procrastinate writing my thesis a little longer.

Best of luck! I find a bottle of lucozade also helps. Glucose is a wonderful thing. :)

Michelle said...

Oh, you poor thing! Study burnout like this is one of the only things I hated about uni. Hope you exam went well this morning! I've been sending you positive vibes.